How to make your own oat milk (in case you're boycotting Oatly)09/01/2020
Oh, the pain of having our favourite brands betray us.
This week it’s oat milk brand Oatly under the harsh glare of controversy, after dairy-free fans discovered they received funds from the Blackstone Group, whose boss is a Donald Trump donor.
Oatly said that it ‘understands our owners can have other investments that don’t align with us’ but insisted that ‘they all believe in and fully support us in our mission’.
But this hasn’t stopped people from vowing to boycott the brand entirely.
We can’t all rush back into the creamy embrace of cow’s milk, so what are we to do when it comes to adding a splash of milk to our coffee?
The key may lie in making our own. If we can’t trust the brands, at least we can hold ourselves accountable to our own ethics.
The good news is that oat milk really isn’t difficult or expensive to make.
There are loads (truly, so, so many) of recipes online and in vegan cookbooks, so you can take a browse, try different techniques, and hone your tricks until you settle on the dreamiest method.
But the simple concept of making oat milk remains the same. Ready to try?
How to make your own oat milk:
- Rolled oats
- Cold water
- A sweetener of your choice – honey and maple work a great (optional)
- Vanilla extract (optional)
- Measure out as many oats as you want, but have four times as much water – so if you use one cup of oats, you’ll want four cups of water
- Combine your oats, water, a pinch of salt, half a teaspoon of vanilla extract (you can add more later if you like), and sweetener to taste
- Blend, blend, blend with a proper blender/food processor until you get a creamy liquid
- Strain your milk. You can use a fine sieve or cheesecloth. If you get lumps the first time, strain it again
- Taste to see if you’d prefer more sweetener, more vanilla, or more salt
- Add in any other flavourings if you like – adding in some cocoa will give you chocolate oat milk, which is tasty
- Refrigerate. The milk should keep for up to a week.
- Shake before serving and don’t be put off by any natural separation
Give it a go and let us know how you get on.
Do you have a story to share?
Get in touch by emailing MetroLifestyleTeam@Metro.co.uk.
Source: Read Full Article